Friday, February 13, 2009

It's All Good

I didn't shed one tear yesterday. It's strange, but I always seem to do that. The days leading up to the actual event are worse than the actual event itself.

Holden played a great game last night, one of his best all year. And, the icing on the cake was that we beat our conference rivals. It couldn't have been a better ending to a home season. Of course, basketball isn't over yet. He has a game tonight and then a tournament next week. Hopefully, we will move on and play at the state level also.

I'm surprised at how well I did. I didn't feel myself tear up at all. I just smiled the whole time and thoroughly enjoyed the game. Even after the game when I got a sweat-laden hug from Holden I did just fine. He hugged me and said "It's been fun." And, all I could say was, "Yes, it has."

Riley is back to his old self again. He's not having any more tummy issues and he's back to eating me out of house and home. His sugars have returned to normal, or normal for having Type 1 diabetes. He hasn't had the lows he was having. And, if he's gone low it's come up like it should with treatment. So, I guess it was just a nasty old virus that just had to run its course.

And, last but not least, I was tagged a while ago by Jill to list six things that make me happy. I'm not going to tag anyone but if you'd like to play along, by all means, please do.

1) Being a mother. There is nothing like it. Sometimes I can look at my boys and my heart feels like it's going to burst with love. And, it's not just having my kids, but all the other stuff that comes along with being a mom. I love the games and practices. I even like the homework. I like anything that involves spending time with my kids.




2) Sleep. Yep, just plain old, every day, run of the mill, sleep. I guess it's because I don't get much of it. Holden slept through the night from the time he came home from the hospital. He would wake occasionally for a bottle and go right back to sleep. But, not my Riley. He did not sleep from day one. I tried everything, rocking, singing, crying, praying. None of it worked. He just WOULD NOT sleep. He'd lie for hours and just stare up at me. I'd put him in his crib and lay my hand on him and he'd stay quiet. But, as soon as I removed my hand off of him he'd start crying again. Around the time he turned 3 he started sleeping through the night. 5 months later he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Now he sleeps through the night, but I still don't.

3) A good song. There is something about a good song that lifts my spirits. Most of the songs like that are ones with an up beat. Some of the songs I can think of that seem to make me happy no matter what are: Billy Jean by Michael Jackson, Love Shack by the B52s, Kiss by Prince, and Respect by Aretha Franklin. There are plenty others.

4) A clean house. I love to have a clean house. It just seems like all is right with the world when the house is clean. But, I'm glad I don't get all my happiness from a clean house because then I would be a very unhappy person, especially during basketball season.


5) Reading. I love to read. I went through a several year period where I did little to no reading. I just did not make the time to sit and read. I have recently started going to the library and checking out books to read. I love to sit with my feet propped up on the couch and read.







6) Foot rubs. Early on in my marriage I used to get them on a regular basis. When I was pregnant with Riley I got one every night. I haven't gotten one in a while. Maybe that's what I'll get for Valentine's Day. (Hey, Michael, are you reading this? A foot rub is free and it makes me happy. )

Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Jill said...

LOL! Great answers :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed the game last night without all the tears :) Good luck on the rest of the games!

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith said...

I'm in total agreement w/your 'happy' list (OK, change Mom to Dad)... probably sounds strange for a man. I really love a clean house and we can't seem to keep one. Oh well.

BTW, I'm wrapping up a week of work in Morehead City. Don't know exactly where you are but I have a feeling you're in the vacinity. I like your end of the state, although I could take it a little warmer.

Take care!

(PS Sorry for the deleted post... just needed to edit it a little.)

growingupartists said...

Looks like your guy is about to head out into the big wide world, how awesome! I'll be stopping by here for inspiration.