Monday, October 22, 2007

Email Ellen Degeneres for Diabetes

I mentioned a couple of posts ago about emailing The Ellen Degeneres Show to make her aware that November is National Diabetes Month and also to let her know that World Diabetes Day is November 14.

Bernard took it upon himself to do this also. So, why don't you try it too? My goal is to create awareness about this disease. If we can at least get her to talk about diabetes on World Diabetes Day that is a step in the right direction.

Bernard posted his letter on his blog. Mine started out praising her for creating awareness about breast cancer during October. Then, I spoke of the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 and why a cure must be found.

I also made them aware of World Diabetes Day and listed a link.

Email Ellen. What's it going to hurt? It's just a few minutes out of your time and who knows the impact it could have.

Also, if you have any other shows you think might be responsive let me know and I'll send them a letter too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I emailed. I also am so happy you joined 365; I think the parent's messages about diabetes are very strong and really seeing what you guys do to manage it will hopefully raise some awareness! Thanks, Penny!!

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Beth,

Thank you for emailing Ellen.

And, as far as the Diabetes 365 thing goes I figured if I'm going to get on everyone else about creating awareness then I need to do some things too. I thought this is a good way to get Riley's story out there.

But, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm starting to panic. I really hope I can keep up with it.

Anonymous said...

Just like anything else, take it one day at a time :) It only takes a few seconds to snap a photo, and you can upload them as infrequently as once a week if you need to. I bet you'll do great!

I'm actually very surprised by how little time my project has taken... with D a part of everyday life, there's always a reminder of it around to photograph!!

:)

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Beth,

I will probably only upload photos once or twice a week. That's all I have time for. I've snapped two pictures so far. I just hope I can keep it up.

I thought this morning that I need to keep my camera with me at all times now just in case there is a photo op.

AmyT said...

Hi Penny,

Check out today's post at www.diabetesmine.com. I've plugged your email campaign here. Care to comment and offer the community some more detail?

Thanks!
- AmyT