Friday, March 17, 2006

Update

Just thought I'd check in and give you a little update. It's been a week since I posted. We're still trudging ahead. Still increasing basals and carb. coverage. Still seeing some awfully high numbers. (We reached 411 today.) But, we haven't had any lows in a good while. Everyone keeps telling me it will get better, I just wonder when. But, I guess it is better. I do love the pump. I can't even think of going back to injections. It's just tiring sometimes. We've just about gotten his basals straight (for now) , but his carb coverage is all screwed up, so now I'm slightly increasing that until we reach the magic number, at which point something else will go wrong and have to be adjusted. Yes, my negativity is oozing out today.

We tried the insets and liked them OK, but everytime his sugar shot up, I'd get paranoid that something was wrong with his set. They also sent some Contacts (metal sets). We are using those now and it has helped my peace of mind a lot. When his sugars are high, I don't immediately think his set is kinked, because, well, it can't be. I told the CDE that the metal sets are the best right now for my peace of mind. I'm sure we'll switch back to the insets later, but for now we're sticking with the Contacts.

I am currently watching UNC play basketball. My favorite team, Duke, won yesterday and will be moving on the the next round. For those who don't know, if you live in NC, you're either a Duke fan or a UNC fan, not both. I pull for Duke and whoever plays UNC. So, for tonight, go Murray State (whoever you are). Gonzaga also won last night, but barely. BTW, I won my shirt on ebay and am wearing it right now. I've gotten some strange looks because of it, but I don't care. GO ADAM MORRISON!!!

Sorry I'm not more informative about the pump, but to be honest, I'm just tired and really don't feel like reliving the last week on the pump. I promise eventually I'll get back on track.

Just one more pumping tidbit. Today Riley was talking about a boy in Holden's class who has D. He doesn't wear a pump. He's 14 and is not interested in having one. Riley was asking about A's pump. I told him he didn't have one, that he just took shots. Riley just had a look of disbelief on his face. He just couldn't seem to believe that someone would take shots when they could be on the pump. He said, "Well, I love my pump. I don't ever want to go back to shots." It's things like this that give me the strength to keep going. Knowing this is what's best for him and this is really what he wants.




4 comments:

Sandra Miller said...

Penny, even when you say your "negativity is oozing out," there is still an undercurrent of positive energy.

One of the reasons I love reading your blog.

I have no doubt that you'll soon get Riley's food boluses where you need them to be. And yeah, there will be those foods that will always be a challenge (i.e., pasta, pizza... ).

But your hard work will pay off-- I promise.

And, on Riley's comment about the pump:

An amazing little boy you've got there-- so young, and he already sees the value of the pump... incredible.

Keith said...

Hey, Penny, Murray State is a nice little college in Western KY just west of KY Lake. They take their basketball very seriously. It would have been very sweet had they pulled an upset over UNC. How do I know about Murray State?... my mother graduated from there many moons ago!

Oh, and ditto what Sandra said!

Penny Ratzlaff said...

I told my husband I thought Murray State was in a "K" state, but I wasn't sure if it was Kansas or Kentucky. I didn't care where they were from I was pulling for them. They almost won too! I would have been so happy had they won. I even stayed up and watched the whole game, only to see UNC pull it out in the end. Since Michigan State is out, UNC now has a easy road to the final four. But, my team, Duke, is still in there.

Shannon said...

When we first started the pump, I was so wanting to go back to shots because it was what I was used to and the pump seemed like so much trouble at first.

Then Brendon got a stomach flu and we had to inject him with glucagon because no matter how much we cut back his basals, we couldn't get his numbers up.

The look of sheer terror on his face when he saw the needle and his words "Hey, I thought I didn't need shots anymore" was enough to keep me going with the pump.

Like Sandra said, the work will pay off...just keep plugging along.